February 2, 2010

Rains come to Arroyo Seco - no outside work today

ARROYO SECO, Jalisco, Mexico - The humidity was about 100 percent Monday when I mowed the grass with our new-to-the-Pink-Flamingo lawnmower. But that kind of humidity usually spells rain and so I was determined to cut the sacate.

And at about 2 a.m. I was rewarded for my labors with, at first, a nice gentle shower, followed by about seven hours of pretty steady rain. The property drained pretty well, though we did end up with several lagunas here and there.

As I write this, just past beer o'clock, it has stopped and the puddles are gradually disappearing into the ground. But more rain is forecast and I am scrambling to find all the tarps I just neatly folded, in case either of our trailers decides to take on water.

And the best news? The work I had planned for today is effectively canceled. That means I finally get to watch the movie Avatar (for a second time...).

Grass getting greener
Greener grass on the way

So what do you do on a rainy day in Mexico? Same as in the U.S.

Everyone sits around and talks about the rain - and the weather in general. Our neighbor Chon came over and like a couple of Iowa farmers, we thoroughly discussed the weird weather patterns that have been in evidence since we arrived in December. We discussed things thoroughly at least as much as my Spanish - and his English - would allow.

But mud puddles aside, one side benefit is not having to wash the cars! They have been rinsed thoroughly, including the new carrito just purchased by Chief Educational Officer Laura Warner/

And if I am hearing correctly, another heavy duty rinsing might be on the way.

Laura's carrito
Laura's new carrito

No comments: